About this app
speedometer is a clean and nice speed measurement application
that works in portrait mode. It can be used to find out the
current speed of your car or bike or to measure the travel speed
while you are walking or jogging. But what are the other
readings shown by this app?
1. The distance. The GPS coordinates are used to compute the
straight line distance between the current location and the
2. The accuracy of the latitude and longitude values, which
gives in fact the precision of the speed and distance
3. A preset speed limit. Once the speed exceeds this limit, a
loud sound alert can be emitted, if enabled.
4. The altitude (height from sea level).
5. Heading info. There is a compass icon that rotates and a label that shows
the compass directions: N, S, E, W, NW, NE, SW, SE
6. The maximum speed
7. A web map that
is freely provided by openlayers.org. There are
three additional, self-explanatory buttons: Zoom in, Zoom out
After the location
permission is granted, this speedometer app starts to compute the
speed and the other data. Obviously, the accuracy of all readings is
better outdoors, in regions with no tall buildings or trees. Also,
notice that the speedometer can show temporary false readings when
you start using it.
- The higher the speed, the more accurate this GPS speedometer is.
- The analog dials have a limited range, they can show speeds up to
- Simply tap the distance icon to initialize the computed distance
- Tap the maximum speed icon to reset its value.
- Tap the speaker icon to enable or disable the sound alert
- Tap the down
arrow to view your location on the map (when the GPS data are
present and the Internet access is enabled) and tap again to hide
-- normal and high contrast themes
-- large digits used for the speed values
-- simple user interface
-- several background colors
-- several units of measurement (km/h, mph,m/s,ft/s)
-- analog or digital display
-- free application, no intrusive ads
-- only one permission required (location)
-- see your current
location on a map
-- this app keeps the phone's screen ON